Saturday, April 16, 2011

Price Smart

I'm so excited that we got a membership to Price Smart in San Salvador.  Price Smart is the El Salvador equivalent of Sam's Club or Costco in the States.  It may not seem like a big deal, but when you live in a small town like our's, in another country like we do with limited food choices, it's a pretty big thing!  I've never cared too much for the food in El Salvador and we mostly stick to fresh fruits and veggies and sometimes meats.  But the meat we get doesn't ever seem like it's good quality and even in the grocery stores I never see any employees using gloves when handling any kind of meat items.  The times we have gotten food from Price Smart in the past, it seems to be better quality.  Also we can buy in bulk which brings the cost down.  I divide it all up and store all the extras in the freezer.  The thing is that we have to drive to the city to buy everything which costs a lot of gas, but I don't care.  It's an excuse to get out of town and we get foods that aren't available here it town.  Liliana really loves the turkey and ham lunchmeat we get.  Here in town, I don't really believe the lunchmeat is made out of real meat...scary!  We got yogurt which Liliana has recently taken a liking to as well.  I'm glad to have more options for her more than anything.

We went in on the membership, which is $37.50 per year, with our friends Sarah and Isaac.  They are the ones that introduced us to the store and are equally as excited about it.  This trip I definitely saw more gringos than I ever had before.  It was funny.  Also shopping there are all the wealthy people of El Salvador.  I find I always want to stop these people and ask them what they do for a living or ask the gringos what the heck they are doing in El Salvador!  But I just get wide-eyed over all the food and enjoy our shopping and when we get home we get to enjoy all the yummy treats.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Awesome! I have a Costco membership. The Costco is almost 3hrs away in Guadalajara, but for me i love the excuse to go into the city, and like you find foods that i can't find where i live. Last time i went i bought a huge container of redvines and brie and chedder cheeses. YUM!