Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Holiday Commitments

Now that November has rolled around, it's time for my immediate extended family to start thinking about the holidays.  Who will go where and when are the main things.  Who is going to host Thanksgiving and Christmas this year?  Of my sister, brother and I, who will actually show up to these events?  And with so many changes in our families right now, will any of our plans actually happen?  

But the pressure is on.  All it took was one phone call from my Grandma to my mom and the ball is rolling.  Plans were made and then changed a couple days later and now there is a "tentative plan."  

My Great Grandma is in her 90's and suffered a stroke 3 weeks ago, as we just found out.  So my Grandma would like for us all to make the trip to Michigan for Christmas along with my aunt's family.  It's only about a 3 and 1/2 hour drive, but for some reason it always feels like it is sooo far away.  But it will be nice to go.  

Then long before Christmas is Thanksgiving which is coming up really soon.  My mom and stepdad have changed their minds about a billion times as to whether they are going to Costa Rica or not for Thanksgiving and I have told them I have no plans for that weekend except to be at home.  

And then there's Liliana's birthday the week after Thanksgiving and my mom desperately wants to plan a party!  I would love to do that as well and have already bought her a couple presents, but here's my issue with any of these commitments...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH EDUARDO!

I will have a better idea after Wednesday of this week, but until then I absolutely refuse to make any decisions, let alone even think about what the options are.  I have one goal in life this week and that's to get my husband back to the States within the next couple of weeks.  My life does not exsist further out than that right now.  Yes it my be inconvenient, but that's just how it is.  Once I know when he is coming back, I will assist in making holiday plans.  Until then, it's on hold.  

Besides, I know what culture shock feels like and after a year and a half in El Salvador, it will be somewhat hard to adjust back here again and I don't want to put Eduardo in any situation he doesn't want to be in.  I totally have to respect that.  

Hopefully all of these events will occur with our little family back together again :)


1 comment:

Tara said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope he will make it home for the holidays!