We have come again to a place where we need to make some major decisions about Liliana's teeth. I usually get quite nauseous just thinking about it and I'm finding this decision particularly hard.
If you've been reading for a while, then you will know that my little Liliana has had a lot of work done on her teeth. She has a history of rapid decay and she currently only has one of her four front top teeth left. The other three have had to be removed at different points. All of the work was done while we were in El Salvador and though it was traumatic for her and us, we always felt comfortable with our dentist there and her procedures.
We originally saw a dentist in the States about Liliana's teeth and after hearing the bad news decided to get the work done elsewhere. We didn't have insurance and there was no way I could afford it. Also Eduardo was already in El Salvador at that point and Liliana and I really needed his emotional support through the process.
We've never regretted getting the work done down there and actually prefer the way our dentist did things. But now that we are back in the States, our American dentists are too impressed with the fact that we had work done in a 3rd world country, heaven forbid! It's kinda looked down upon with complete ignorance on their parts.
Anyway, the point of this is that Liliana's lone front tooth got chipped. I think it was from trying to bite into an apple instead of letting me cut it up for her. She was so proud of herself when she did it that I had a hard time saying no and it wasn't until later that I saw the chip :(
So we went to the dentist that we have been seeing since coming back here. This dentist's office was recommended to us and accepts Medicaid (which Liliana is on) and we've been mostly pleased so far.
That was until this visit. We went into a private room and saw the 3rd different dentist we have seen in our 3 visits and I wasn't impressed with that as I had to explain our whole story each and every time to each dentist. Then she told me what my options are for the tooth.
I'll back up a bit by saying that this tooth has chipped once before in El Salvador. The dentist there suspected it would happen because of her age and the size of the tooth. We went into her office and she quickly filled the tooth in (it's not all her real tooth). It wasn't too traumatic.
Well this dentist is now recommending we either put a crown on the tooth or simply pull it out. She suggests just pulling it. Even if they do a crown at this point, it can still break, especially her being so young. I don't know which one I want to do. I'm completely devasted and on the fence about either situation.
I might not feel so horrible if we were in El Salvador where I know how the procedures are done. Here they are a lot different. These dentists will NOT let me be in the room during the procedure and I'm freaking out about this. I have always been with Liliana through everything in El Salvador. They also will not put her to sleep like we've always had done. They just give her laughing gas and she will be awake and conscious (but relaxed supposedly) the whole time. Then to top it all off, they basically put her in a straight jacket to keep her from moving. It all just sounds horrible to me.
I have put in a call to the dentist's office to ask some more questions, but haven't received a return call just yet. Once I hear back, I will make my decision about which route we will take. Hopefully this can be the end of our dental nightmares, particularly for Liliana's sake!