Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Car Fiasco

This was seriously one of the strangest days ever!  First Liliana did not sleep well and we were up super early, which made her really grumpy all morning and put me on edge.  I finally got our act together and we headed out to the Children's Museum as I had promised her.  Of course within 5 minutes of driving, she fell asleep.  But it was okay because I had to make a stop at my mom's office.  Since she was sleeping, I ran in (I could see the car from the window) to do what I needed to.  

I came back out a few minutes later and got back in the car to leave.  My mom came out to tell me something and as soon as she left, I noticed the van was smoking hardcore!  Not good.  I immediately woke Liliana up and got her out.  That's when I saw green fluid just pouring out all over the parking lot.  Oh boy.  Long story short, we called AAA and had the car towed to our family mechanic we always go to.  

There wasn't much I could do so my mom said to take her car and we could still go to the museum.  We headed out and I decided I really needed a coffee.  I got a Starbucks giftcard for Christmas so we pulled in.  I ordered a coffee and cake pop and then went to pay.  I got my cake pop and drove off.  A little way down the road, I realized I forgot my coffee!!  I went back of course and got it.  

So then we were ready.  To the museum...or not.  I look down and my mom's car is on complete empty.  I wasn't very happy I had to pull over and get gas at this point.  But I did so we could move on.

We again are headed down the road and I get a phone call and it really upset me.  Unfortunately it's the one area of my life I can't really blog about, but it was very upsetting to me.  I think all the emotions that have been building in me for weeks just exploded.  I found myself sobbing and angry as I was driving down the road.  I had to break the news to Liliana that we couldn't go to the museum (cause I was an emotional wreck) and of course she started crying too.

We got home and I got Liliana and myself calmed down by finding some fun activities for us to do together.  My sister was home (have I told you my sister is now living with us?), but luckily she left right away and we got the house to ourselves.  I had a few more good cries and am feeling better now.  

The good news is that there is nothing wrong with the car!  It's so strange.  Our mechanic said that a belt came off that should never have even come off in the first place.  It wasn't even broken.  It just needed to be put back on.  But that's what caused the car to overheat.  He even found it strange.  We can pick the car up in the morning!

I guess I do have angels watching out for me because #1 The car broke down right outside my mom's office and NOT the side of the road and #2 The problem was a simple fix so the cost will be minimal!  I'm still bewildered by the whole incident and the whole day.  I'm glad it's almost over.


Lisa Paine said...

Phew, sorry that was such a difficult day, Kelsey! But you're right, it could have been much worse and in the end you were very lucky. :) Hope the bad phone call news gets better soon.

Tara said...

Sorry you had such a rough day! I hate days like that. When it rains it pours. Sending you good vibes and un abrazo!