Monday, January 9, 2012

Spanglish Word of The Day


Socketines

Let me break it down for you:

English translation:  Socks
Spanish translation:  Calcetines (Kal-say-teen-ays)

Spanglish version:  Socketines

I nearly laughed out loud when I heard this come out of Liliana's mouth today, but I didn't want to actually laugh at her so I just chuckled inside.  She was showing my sister a book and saying what all the pictures were.  She came to a pair of socks and out came the word "socketines".  My sister (whom also speaks Spanish) and I looked at each other in amazement and asked her to repeat what she had just said.  

Liliana has been known to come out with some classic Spanglish words in the past, but this one tops the cake :)  

**Also as a side note:  My sister has been living with us temporarily for the past few weeks.  She has moved back to Indianapolis after living in Ecuador for the past 4 years.  She is fluent in Spanish and I think Liliana hearing her speak Spanish regularly on the phone is encouraging her to use her Spanish knowledge more.  I'm surprised at how much she remembers and knows even after she hasn't been using it for so long now.  Those little baby brains are incredible!!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I love the word socketines! Too cute! If that word is not in a Spanglish dictionary, it should be added! LOL