Saturday, April 24, 2010

Acayucan

Our goal from Costa Esmeralda that day was to reach Acayucan and we did, but the rest of the day was not without it´s troubles. After we bought lunch and gas we realized we were running out of pesos. We knew there were lots of toll roads coming up and searched everywhere for a place to exchange money with no luck. We wasted a lot of time doing this. We finally decided to just go to the toll and beg them to take our American Dollars. We got there and they wouldn´t, but they din´t accept credit card. Thank God! I used my bank card for the next three tolls.

We finally reached the outskirts of Acayucan and stopped again for gas. After the gas was pumped I gave them my bank card and it was declined! I tried another card and got declined. Silly me had forgotten to tell my bank I was leaving the country, so they stopped my card for a fraud alert, I´m assuming. We begged and begged the gas attendant to accept our dollars and he did. Once again, Thank God!

We drove into Acayucan, which ended up having a carnival in town and looked for a hotel. We saw a couple nice ones, but quickly remembered we didn´t have any pesos to pay for it. We parked in one hotel and they told us where to go to exchange money. We walked all around never found a place, asking all kinds of people. It was the type of experience where to ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers with directions. Craziness! We went back to the hotel, got our car and drove to find somewhere. It was nearing 7pm by this point and we had reached our maximum toleration for the day. Finally got to a place, exchanged money and went to a nicer hotel we had seen on our journey.

I actually quite like Acayucan a lot. It was the 2nd favorite place of mine. We got the nicest room in the hotel, which actually had a king size bed and a private balcony overlooking the carnival and central area. We took Liliana to ride the carousel and ordered dinner in the restaurant, but had it delivered to our room. Liliana didn´t want to sit still any longer. I had high hopes of sitting on the balcony with my hubby and actually getting to chat and enjoy our alone time. What was I thinking? I fell asleep promptly after dinner.

No comments: